Event Report: Okashicon 2022

 I can't believe it's been over a year since I've written a blog post. It's been so difficult for me to sit down and write these days that I keep putting things off. I'm sorry for my absence, everyone!

I hope 2022 was kind to you, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 2023 has been even better. For me, everything has gone by so quickly that I can't believe we're halfway through the year already!

I wanted to get this post out much earlier, but since Okashicon 2023 is *this* weekend, there is certainly no time like the present! Okashicon is an anime convention in Pflugerville, Texas, a suburb located on the outskirts of Austin, Texas, our state's capital!

Here's a little bit of info about them, directly from their website: "Okashicon is a non-profit group that celebrates J-Fashion, Anime, and Women in the industry. We believe in celebrating our differences and enjoying the things that bring us together. Okashicon loves to give back to the J-Fashion, Anime, and local communities. At Okashicon you can find International guests, Jfashion, Anime, Gaming, Vendors, and much more!"

Okashicon's cute logo!


I was invited to Okashicon last year as a Featured Panelist, which meant I got to enjoy the convention somewhat like a guest. This was my second official "guesting" opportunity at a convention, but I had less responsibilities. Since it's just me and my blog posts, I don't have a booth or merch to sell, which definitely made it easier to pack for the con! Still, I'm always grateful to see events from a new perspective, and I appreciate the Okashicon J-Fashion Team for granting me the opportunity!

Please note that at that time, Okashicon staff had asked all attendees to wear a face mask when they weren't eating or drinking. As such, you'll see lots of people wearing masks in each picture. If I'm not wearing one, that means I was by myself or in a space where I was eating (or had just eaten). 

The Venue

The con hotel and venue.

It's important to note a few things with the Okashicon venue. For one, it is both the official con hotel and the con venue. That's a good thing if you don't like to (or are unable to) walk long distances, as the travel time from your hotel room to the Dealer's Hall is the length of an elevator ride from the third floor to the first. That being said, if you plan to visit other sites in Austin while attending the con, you will most certainly need a car, or at the very least, the Uber/Lyft app. Unfortunately, our Lone Star State isn't the best at offering public transportation, and the city of Austin is no exception. At the time of my writing this, there aren't any buses or trains that can get you to the con venue.

There's not much around the con venue either, so if you want food or drinks outside of what's available at the hotel, your options are delivery or, once again, hopping in the car. I delivered my meals most of the weekend (thanks to discounts on delivery apps), but there is a restaurant and bar right beside registration so you won't have to leave the venue if you don't want to. There was also an adorable little market next to the hotel check-in desk that was stocked with some basic necessities and late-night snacks!

Day 1

Okashicon Artist's Alley.

On the first day of the con, I came down from my room in the afternoon, as I was still working the night shift at the time, and slept like a rock, XP

After passing by the Registration desk, I made my way to Artist Alley, where artists had set up their booths the night before! I took a look at a few tables, and then made my way into Dealer's Hall to see what was available in there (and say hello to some of my friends)!

Dealer's Hall.

The Dealer's Hall was in a separate room. There were tables for each of the guest brands featured in the Fashion Show (more on that later), along with a handful of other vendors and designers. Though the room was smaller than I anticipated, there was a good mix of items, and a great number of fashion vendors compared to what you'll find at most general anime conventions. I was happy to see my friend from Starcrossed Lovelies in there as well!

The Starcrossed Lovelies booth!

After taking my time in Dealer's Hall, it was time for my panel. I hosted a makeup panel (as if anyone was surprised), but I didn't get any pictures; sorry about that! After my panel, I got some food, took some time to rest a little, and then I hung out with friends until it was time to see the Fashion Show.

Candy Trap's model line-up!

Even though it was held in the Main Programming Room, the Fashion Show was completely filled to capacity! There were three brands featured during last year's show: Candy Trap, HYPERCORE, and Kuroshiro Kawaii (they have multiple brands in their store). The models did a wonderful job filling the stage with their presence, and there was also an adorable performance from Galaxy Girl PAiDA!

After the show was over, we had to leave the room so that things could be adjusted for the coolest thing I've ever heard of: a J-Fashion Pajama Party Swap Meet. When I tell you I was SO excited about this event -- I couldn't wait! I wish I had worn cuter PJs though, haha.

PJs and clothing swaps, oh my!

The swap meet had everything I hoped for -- adorable PJs, lots of party games, and clothing racks of secondhand J-Fashion to swap and sell. It was such a fun and cute way to add a theme to something as simple as a swap meet, which I think is something the folks at Okashicon do really well. They honestly have a monopoly on making everything so adorable! 

Day 2

Coord Breakdown:
JSK - Metamorphose Temps De Filles
Shoes - Bodyline

Day 2 was a pretty chill day for me. Since I had already hosted my panel, I spent most of the day hanging out with my friends and attending other panels. I hadn't ventured to the photo area yet, so I made it a goal to pay a visit to that room first.

Flower wall with tea set.

I was over the moon to take pictures with this moon!

Since I attend cons for their Fashion departments, I missed out on all of the cosplay/anime-related events, but if I remember correctly, those major events (ie the Cosplay Contest and band performances) were on Saturday. My favorite panel for the evening was the Lolita Lotería panel! We had a blast and the bingo cards were so cute! Look at these adorable game cards!

Lolita Lotería game cards.

I was feeling extra tired at this point because I had to switch my entire sleep schedule to attend the con, so I went to bed after peeking into one other panel.

Day 3

My day 3 selfie!

On Day 3, we all attended the J-Fashion Mixer. Each Fashion guest or panelist got their own table to join attendees at the event. The theme was Candy Pop Carnival, which as I've said a million times was the definition of cute! 

The table set-up!

The entire room was decked out in pastels and there was even a mocktail bar with our very own bartenders! They also had a backdrop set-up and carnival games for attendees to play, and we can't forget the food!

Yummy!

Moar noms.

In each attendee's gift bag, there were raffle tickets, and by playing the carnival games, attendees had the ability to win more tickets. With these tickets, they could put their name in a raffle to win prizes from the prize table!

So many prizes!

I had a blast, and it was great to see everyone socialize, eat, and just enjoy themselves! I'm so glad I was able to attend. I even got a picture in front of the backdrop! 

JSK is Angelic Pretty Diner Doll.

All in all, Okashicon is a small, but mighty convention with a cozy, close-knit feel, especially in regards to J-Fashion programming. You'll be sure to meet other people from the Texas fashion communities, and maybe a few folks from out-of-state that are able to drive up to Austin. I would caution anyone that is interested in attending to not expect a massive crowd as the venue and the location simply aren't able to hold so many people. Still, I absolutely enjoyed my experience at Okashicon, and I'd love to go back if I'm able! I love that J-Fashion is so important to them, and they make sure to give ample opportunities to everyone that wants to participate!

I'd be lying if I said this post means I'll be back with better posting habits, but all I can do is try! Thanks for sticking with me through thick and thin, dear readers!

Tekko is coming soon, which means I'll have another event report up for that con as well, :) What's your favorite con or fashion event to attend each year? Let me know in the comments below!

Until next time, y'all!

Stay beautiful, stay true,
~J

Comments

  1. Hey, it's the quality of the posts that matters, not the quantity - and your posts are always quality! We love a smaller convention, they are so much better value for money (fewer crowds improve the experience of panels and shopping), even if reading about the venue made me realise that as a non-driver I would've been massively stuck, either inside or to paying extra. The pyjama party though! That sounds super cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment