2 Looks, 1 Palette: I Heart Revolution Donut Tray

I got LOTS of eyeshadow last Christmas, including some tasty treats to add to my food makeup collection!

We all go nuts for donuts!

A dear friend got me the I Heart Revolution Donut Tray as a late Christmas gift, and I've honestly never seen anything quite like it. The concept behind it is absolutely adorable though, just look at it!

Lots of folks on my Instagram seemed pretty curious about this collection, so I decided it'd be fitting for my first 2 Looks, 1 Palette review of 2020! Is this the next must-have item for makeup lovers?

The Collection

I took the donuts out of the package.

Each donut serves a purpose in this collection, including the boxed "donut" which is full of small, pink sponges. All of the donuts have a scent, though some are certainly more pleasant than others, X_X 

Pink Frosting blush duo.


Cinnamon Sugar bronzer.

Vanilla Frosting highlighter.

Peanut Butter & Jelly eyeshadow palette.

Chocolate Caramel eyeshadow palette

So cute~!! 

Since there are only two eyeshadow palettes in the collection, I was able to immediately narrow down my review to the Chocolate Caramel donut. Unfortunately, I couldn't get over the smell of the Peanut Butter & Jelly, :/ 

But for the sake of fairness, I swatched both palettes on my arm.

Top 4 swatches are from PB&J,
Bottom 5 swatches are from Chocolate Caramel.

The shades weren't crazy pigmented, but every makeup lover knows you can't judge an eyeshadow by the swatch. The best way is to dip in your brush and get to work!

Look 1

Look #1.

Given that I only had 5 shades to work with, I tried something simple -- aiming to use the one matte shade in the Chocolate Caramel palette, and trying to avoid overloading my lids with shimmer. I used the soft brown matte as my base shade, then tried my luck dark green-toned metallic shades. When I realized that'd be a little too much for my day, I lightened it up with the dusty pink shade. 

Everything basically vanished. The palette isn't all that pigmented, so don't expect extreme color-payoff; that's nowhere to be found here. I liked how soft the shadows were, but they just didn't stay well. My eyes pretty much turned into a blob of random shades.

Full lid.

The gold shade that sits in the center of the palette is decidedly cool-toned. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. The highlighter donut performed well though!

Look 2

Look #2.

Day 2 was even worse than Day 1. I decided to try all the other products in the tray to get a more well-rounded review of the collection. This time, the gold shimmer in the Chocolate Caramel palette underperformed so much that I had to top it with a second gold eyeshadow just to make it work. Both blushes in the blush duo looked chalky on my skin tone, and the only thing that truly worked for me, besides the highlighter, was the bronzer.

After my second day of disappointment, I can safely say I'm DONE with darn near the entire set. Since it was given to me as a gift, I won't give it a number rating, but to be very blunt: if I gave this a score, it would be pretty low, -_- 

The eyeshadows in the Donut Tray aren't pigmented enough for darker skin, everything is noticeably scented, and at this point, the bronzer and the highlighter are the only two items I would reuse. I do not recommend the Donut Tray for anyone with my skin tone, or darker, and y'all know it hurts my heart to say it since I truly do "heart" Revolution. 

This set might be good for makeup beginners that are just starting out, but beyond that audience, I can't suggest it.  I imagine this collection was made more for the cutesy packaging and the overall "gimmick" of donut-shaped and scented products. That's fine for collectors that just want to display these types of things, but I actually try to use the makeup I own.

Would I buy this with my own money? Not at all. From what I can see, I Heart Revolution's other donut eyeshadow palettes might perform better than these, but after this disappointing foray into the Donut Tray (hehe), I'd rather play it safe and stick to my Chocolate palettes.

Speaking of, I won an Instagram contest on I Heart Revolution's IG and received an entire haul of new Chocolate palettes!

My new Chocolate palettes and brushes!

I plan to do my next 2 Looks, 1 Palette review on the Chocolate Cherry palette, but if you're more interested in seeing a close-up look at any of the other items pictured, let me know in the comment box below!

Until next time, lovely readers~!

Stay beautiful, stay true,
~J

Comments

Popular Posts