Five "Unconventional" Shops to Buy Lolita (or Loli-able) Fashion

Welcome back to my Blue corner of the Internet! 💙💙💙

This week, I'm going lots of con prep, but I wanted to get some posts out on the off-chance that I disappear for a few weeks.

As many Lolitas can attest, con season can be pretty stressful. I'd say the worst part about cons is the prepping for them, because if anything can go wrong, it's during this time. Most people try to anticipate these issues by ordering their items as early as possible, but everyone knows that mailing woes are uncontrollable.

So, here you are, two weeks before your con, and the tracking for your new pair of shoes hasn't budged for a month. Or maybe, you finally got around to washing all your pieces so you can actually start packing, only to discover your tights are ripped in 3 places, and it's impossible to re-order another pair.

In those cases, sometimes a last minute order, or store run, is the only resolution. I came up with this list of "unconventional" shops to help us out with our last-minute dilemmas. Of course, many of these stores are just good resources to have while fleshing out your wardrobe in general, but they're especially helpful when you're having an FML moment.

Amazon

I do not own!

When I'm in a con crunch, or need a last-minute item, the first place I check is Amazon. With Prime shipping, items arrive in 2 days or less, and usually, I have Amazon gift cards, so the prices are lower than what I would pay if I went to a store.

In particular, I look for headpieces, wigs, and blouses on Amazon, with the occasional bag or other accessory thrown in. A couple of Taobao shops have joined Amazon's roster of retailers too, so even though the price is a little higher than ordering through my shopping service, the 2-day shipping balances out the cost.

My Amazon blouse

My favorite Amazon purchases so far are a blouse and hat that I use for Gothic coords. Both items were pretty affordable, and they suit a lot of pieces in my wardrobe.

Amazon hat.

I'll admit, I probably wouldn't have purchased either item if I wasn't in a rush to find pieces (last minute, *coughcough*), but I'm so glad I did! The blouse I wear quite often, actually. Check out some coords I made with these pieces!

Coord with my Amazon blouse.

Pill  box hat.
If you'd like to purchase either item, head on over to Amazon and grab the blouse (comes in red or black) with this link. You can purchase the pill box hat (multiple colors) here.

eBay

I do not own!

Navigating eBay is a little tough for Lolita items because the naming of each listing can vary a lot. Sometimes just typing in "Lolita + item you're looking for" works, and sometimes, it doesn't. I found this blouse on eBay by accident, and I fell in love. 

Crop blouse from eBay.

When I purchased it, the price was actually less, but as I mentioned with the Amazon products, this item comes with "Fast n Free" shipping, so the higher price warrants the increased costs.

Pro-tip: For both eBay and Amazon, pay close attention to shipping costs and times. For me, if a blouse is $30 and takes 2 months to get to me, I'd rather get a Taobao blouse for less. Paying more is only worth it (again, for me), if the item can get to me faster than ordering from a dedicated Lolita shop.

Coord with my EBay blouse.

I wear my blouse a lot, and I'd love to get it in other colors too. Something about the cut of it is just flattering for my body type. If you'd like to add this blouse to your wardrobe, order one for yourself with this link.

Brick and Mortar Stores

The con/event is tomorrow, and now, you don't have time to wait for shipping AT ALL. That's OK, because I've got some stores for those situations too. Desperate times call for desperate measures and all that, so hop in the car or grab a seat on the bus, and let's take a trip to a physical store. You might even catch some deals.

Target

I do not own!

Target is an excellent place to find Loliable (able to wear with Lolita) items, especially tights. I always take a look at tights, hats, bags, and sometimes blouses, when I visit Target. Their clothing selection is decidedly nicer than some of the other retailers (ie Wal-Mart or Old Navy).

Fun fact: When I was just a baby Lolita, Target used to sell these "premium" petticoats during Halloween that were cupcake-shaped and just poofy enough for my lighter dresses. They were around $30, and I used that Target petticoat for about a year, if not longer. It served me well until I got my first, actual Lolita petticoat, :)

Coord with Target tights.

Mostly, I get tights from Target. At one point, they had an entire section of seasonal tights, with a great size range, including plus size. They were $10 a piece, and I still have a few pairs that I wear consistently!

I can't link the tights in my coord photo because they're olllldd (4 years or so?), but you can take a look at Target's current selection of tights online here. Still, I strongly recommend physically going to the store (if you can), and seeing what they have in person, as some of the styles on the website aren't in the store, or vice-versa.

DSW

I do not own!

DSW has shoes, and occasionally bags, that are perfect for Lolita. A few years ago, a Lolita on my FB made a post about some shoes from a brand called Indigo Rd. that they got at DSW. Unfortunately, because of the post, the shoes sold out completely online, so I thought: "Oh, I can see if they have them in the store!" Sadly by the time I was able to go to the store and get them, they were sold out in my size there too, :/

I ended up buying my Indigo Rd. shoes from eBay, XP

Indigo Rd. shoes.

I wear these shoes pretty often. Though they weren't an "OMG, I NEED THIS RITE NAO" purchase, I did buy them specifically to wear to a con. I love the quality of these shoes, and they were a great price.

Coord with my Indigo Rd. Shoes.

DSW has lots of other brands in store, so like with Target, it's definitely better to pay a visit in person. But, they also offer online ordering! See if there's a DSW near you with this Store Locator.

Wal-Mart

I do not own!

Now, this opinion may be a bit controversial, but Wal-Mart does have some Loliable tights, bags, and shoes. Specifically, the MoMo brand makes "Victorian" style shoes that are excellent for Classic and Gothic Lolita. 

MoMo shoes.

Wal-Mart also has a pretty good selection of tights. I usually check their tights section around the end-of-the-year holidays because that's when the bling-y, New Year's Eve tights appear. In total, I have about... 3? 4? Pairs of tights that I've bought at Wal-Mart to use for my coords. They were all under $10, and they're super stretchy and comfortable.

The tights I'm wearing in my coord photo were bought at Wal-Mart while I was on my way to the event, haha!

Coord with Wal-Mart tights and shoes.

I'm not 100% sure if any of these physical stores have locations overseas, so my International readers might have to dig a little deeper to find some brick and mortar stores that can help with your con (or event) crunch. When all else fails, thrift stores are full of hidden treasures, but you'll have to do some digging, so prepare yourself before going on the hunt!

I hope you liked this little blurb of "unconventional" places to buy Lolita. With that being said, I still encourage everyone to shop small, and if you can, buy items from locally owned shops or Indie brands on Etsy. Still, if you're in a pinch, these shops offer quick solutions that won't break the bank. 

What type of con crunch/event mishap have you had while prepping a coord? Tell me all about it in the comments below!

I'm working on another Taobao haul for you guys, plus a review on some circle lenses! See you next time, loves!

Stay beautiful, stay true,
~J

Comments

  1. Amazon and eBay have come to the rescue many a times (for me particularly eBay). And just as I clicked on the eBay blouse link, I found a different one that caught my eye in the 'you might also like' section, so now I gotta check it out. Target, DSW and Wal-Mart don't have overseas branches, although Wal-Mart owns a couple of supermarket chains elsewhere (e.g. they own Asda in the UK). Though I'd say just like Wal-Mart is a crunch option in the USA for things like tights, so will other supermarkets with clothing ranges elsewhere. Primark is a big one in Europe, particularly for tights and jewellery and especially since they started getting some really good Disney ranges (great for last minute sweet lolitas). I'd probably lump Claire's Accessories into this too and Deichman for shoes (their Graceland brand has plenty of simple Mary Janes and sometimes even some Victoriana-esque designs that are both comfortable and suitable for classic and gothic lolitas). The key when you're in a crunch is to not panic and keep your options open. And maybe start a group for your local comm or friends? A while back someone in the UK started a 'UK loliable bargains' group, so whenever someone finds something that might work with lolita in normie shops, they can post it there and everyone can take advantage. It's helped me a couple of times find some unexpectedly nice loliable pieces for cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that Loliable Bargains group sounds amazing! I wonder if we can start one of those in the States??

      I've actually heard of Primark before, and we have Clarie's over here too! I totally agree that the key is to not panic and keep your options open! Getting creative (and flexible) when the clock is ticking can sometimes inspire something fantastic!

      Delete
  2. OMG I love these! What was the link to the Amazon and Ebay blouse by chance? Also, you look amazing in those outfits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon blouse: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CF7LKGD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      Ebay blouse: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gothic-Lolita-Women-Girls-Lace-Ties-Chiffon-Blouse-Flouncing-Top-2-Way-Wear-New/152611127177?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  3. I love this post! Many people overlook the idea of finding loliable items in "normal" stores so it's awesome that you gave so many examples! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts